At Emirates Merchant Bank he was Head of Capital Markets & Proprietary Investment Management where one of his key responsibilities was Co-Managing Director of EBAI Mittelstandsfinanzierungs AG, a joint-venture private equity fund which specialised in the investment of early stage technology companies. On the capital markets side he was involved in the pioneering of bank disintermediation in the Gulf region by helping to bring large credit worthy borrowers to the international bond markets. These included bond programmes for Emirates Bank International, the Islamic Republic of Iran, Emirates (Airlines) and the Emirate of Dubai. Another notable transaction involved the rental securitisation of a portfolio of commercial properties in Singapore owned by the Royal Family of Dubai.
Later in Hong Kong Andrew set up a private consultancy advising investment companies on capital formation and funding for mainly resort and mixed-use property ventures in AsiaPac. He advised leading clients such as LKF Group and Destination Properties which owned and built 5-Star hotels across Asia and North America.
Andrew holds a commerce degree and a post graduate diploma in investment analysis & portfolio management. He is a past member of the Securities Institute of Australia and the NZ Treasurers Association.
Emirates Merchant Bank
- Arranging a USD 1.0bn Euro Medium Term Note Programme for Emirates Bank International (EBI) (the first international bond issue for a UAE entity)
- Obtaining a Lead Management position (EUR 50mn) on The Islamic Republic of Iran’s debut Eurobond issue
- Arranging an AED1.50bn Floating Rating Note issue for Emirates (Airlines) jointly with HSBC
- Arranging a USD 200mn property rental securitization for Wisma Ltd, a Singapore property investment company owned by the Royal family of Dubai
- Restructuring and managing the fixed income proprietary book (Emerging Markets) for EBI (Book size: USD 1.25bn)
- Co-Managing Director of EBAI Mittelstandsfinanzierungs AG, a Vienna based private equity firm (the firm was a JV between Emirates Merchant Bank and BankAustria)
CS First Boston
- Primary role in a team which arranged and underwrote a NZD 270 million convertible note issue for Brierley Investments Limited
- Acted as Risk Management Advisor to Airways Corporation of NZ Limited
- Arranger & Underwriter of a NZD 150mn bond issue for Auckland International Airport
- Arrangement of a NZD 200 million senior bond issue for Citibank N.A.
- Arranger & underwriter for the first NZD denominated Eurobond issue for Telecom New Zealand Limited (NZD 75 million)
- Involved with the pioneering and development of the subordinated capital note market in NZ, and worked on successful issues for Fletcher Challenge Limited and Brierley Investments Limited
- Sell down of the National Provident Fund’s NZD 400 million local authority stock portfolio